Gabryelle Newcombe

halifax, Nova Scotia


 height=You might think it strange that an 11-year-old knows when she needs to go to the hospital.  But Gabryelle isn’t like most children. Gabryelle has Cystic Fibrosis (CF), a chronic disease of the lungs and digestive system.  A simple cold is often serious enough for Gabryelle to be hospitalized. 

Looking back, Gabryelle has probably spent half her life at the IWK Health Centre. And living with CF isn’t easy.  Gabryelle takes over 25 pills a day to help with her digestion
and needs 1.5 hours of physiotherapy daily to clear her lungs. But Gabryelle is always smiling! She goes to school and enjoys spending time with her friends. 

The IWK and the team at the CF Clinic have become an essential part of her care – ensuring she has access to the latest life-saving treatments and therapies.

"It breaks my heart to watch my little girl lying in a hospital bed, on oxygen and struggling to breathe,” says her mom, Diedre.  “But thanks to donors we have the best care in the Maritimes caring for our daughter, keeping her as healthy as possible.” 

Recently, Gabryelle caught a cold.  For most kids, this would mean a day or two off school.  For Gabryelle, it means another stay at the IWK. But her family takes such great
comfort knowing she’ll get the care she needs. 

“I wish donors could see the difference their generosity makes,” says Deidre. “Every gift, no matter what the amount makes a huge difference.”

Learn more about Gabryelle's story during the IWK Radiothon on C100 FM, broadcasting live February 6, 2015 from 6 am - 7pm.


Josh cochrane
yarmouth, Nova Scoita

Eight-year-old Josh Cochrane has several conditions including autism, juvenile arthritis, Kawasaki Disease, malformation of teeth and relies on the IWK for ongoing care. He’s a young man that demonstrates the true meaning of strength, determination and the power of song.

By 18 months, most children are able to sit for several minutes without using their hands for support, pull themselves up along the furniture, form short sentences and giggle loudly. But for Joshua, things were a little different. Although he was a happy baby, he would lie on the floor and wasn’t able to move or roll around.

By age two, Josh started to lift his head and upper body, and by age 3 ½ he was finally walking and talking. He also developed a really keen interest in numbers. So much so that he obsessed about them. His mom, Anne, noticed that Josh was also doing things very repetitiously, and keeping things organized was also incredibly important to Josh.

Testing through the early intervention program at the IWK revealed that Josh had classical autism and OCD. He also has poor muscle tone, which means he has to wear a splint on his leg. Josh is currently receiving botox injections in his leg and is awaiting news to see whether or not he will require surgery to adjust the ligaments and tendons in his foot. In addition, he had surgery on his malformation of teeth earlier this year.

Throughout all this, Josh keeps on smiling.

Music is a large part of Josh’s life, and has played a huge role in his treatment. In the beginning, Josh had problem communicating verbally. But, if you put music on it was like you turned on a light switch. Speech therapists at the IWK began incorporating music into his treatment, and since then, his conversation skills have gone through the roof.

Earlier this year, Josh was nominated to receive an award at the World Autism Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland. He and his mom were able to make the trip to Scotland where he placed first in the Youth Performing Arts category with his rendition of ‘Where is Love’, from the musical Oliver.

“The IWK is our life,” says Anne. “They’re just so children oriented. The kids can forget what is going on and just have fun! They are amazing.”


Ben harris
O'Leary, PEI

Shortly after his third birthday, Ben’s parents noticed tiny purple dots and bruising appear all over his body. “It was a little bit of a shock,” says mom, Heather. “Ben had always been so happy and healthy.”

A trip to the family doctor and a quick blood test later reveled that Ben’s platelets were low and dropping. Platelets are colorless blood cells that play an important role in blood clotting

Ben was sent to the IWK where he was diagnosed with chronic thrombocytopenia and neutropenia, auto-immune conditions that inhibit his ability to fight off infections and prevent his blood from clotting as well as it should.

To help boost his immune system, Ben visits the IWK every four weeks for intravenous treatments of antibodies collected from the plasma (the protein-rich liquid of blood that helps supports the immune system and promotes the control of excessive bleeding) of healthy donors.

 “The care at the IWK has been outstanding,” raves Ben’s dad, Darcy. “We visit the hospital often and every time we walk through the doors, we feel like we are being taken care of.” Ben’s parents say that while there is a chance that Ben might outgrow his condition today they are focusing on the happy, healthy and active child he has become.

To learn more about Ben’s story and how you can help patients like him, tune in to the IWK Radiothon on 95.1 FM CFCY, presented by Credit Unions and The Co-operators Agents of PEI, broadcasting live from Charlottetown Mall October 30 from 6 a.m. – 6 p.m.




Alex & Porter Macaulay
charlottetown, PEI

July 8th, 2013, is one day Laura and Glen MacAulay will never forget. Twenty eight weeks into her pregnancy with twin boys, Laura was airlifted to the IWK from her local hospital in PEI. Her blood pressure was extremely high and doctors thought they may have to deliver the premature babies that night.

After arriving at the IWK, Laura was put on strict bed rest. She said the nurses and doctors couldn't do enough to make her feel comfortable. “Something as little as getting me a drink, an extra blanket, or even just a short conversation to pass time meant the world to me,” remembers Laura. “Without the kindness of the staff at the IWK I don't think my time spent on bed rest would have been as pleasant as it was.”

Ultrasounds determined that one of her babies had restricted growth which caused him to be tiny and not grow as well as he should. At 31 weeks little Alexander, was born weighing 2lbs 4oz, and two minutes later his brother, Porter arrived weighing 3lbs 3oz.

Even thought the boys being born so small and so early, they were troopers! Premature babies often have lung issues, so when Laura was able to see her boys for the first time, she wasn’t surprised to see them breathing with the help of a ventilator. Within one day, the ventilator was removed and eight days later they were strong enough to be sent home to PEI.

“The fantastic doctors and nurses at the IWK were fast acting, attentive, knowledgeable and caring. Without them and their state-of-the-art equipment, the outcome could have been much different and my healthy happy sons might not be with us today.”

To learn more about Alex and Porter’s story and how you can help patients like them, tune in to the IWK Radiothon on 95.1 FM CFCY, presented by Credit Unions and The Co-operators Agents of PEI, broadcasting live from Charlottetown Mall October 30 from 6 a.m. – 6 p.m.




Abbie MacLeod
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Imagine if your child needed five life-changing surgeries all before her sixth birthday. 

Now imagine the relief and gratitude that comes with knowing the IWK is there to help.  

When Hilary Kinnear and Darrell MacLeod adopted Abbie from China and brought her home to Nova Scotia, they knew their new daughter would need surgery to and the help of many specialists to fix her cleft palate.  

“We didn’t realize how severe it was until after we met her,” admits Hilary.  “But we were confident and comfortable knowing Abbie was in good hands at the IWK.” 

The appointments and surgeries at the IWK began soon after Abbie met with experts in ear, nose and throat, speech therapy, plastic surgery, oral surgery and dentistry.  Every specialty team had the same goal:  To give this sweet girl the confidence and happy future she deserves.  

Today, Abbie is doing great.  

“Thanks to the surgery and speech therapy at IWK – and her own hard work – Abbie can communicate and be the outgoing and confident person she truly is,” says Hilary.  And Darrell, Abbie’s dad, says that she is the strongest person he has ever met. 

While the surgeries and therapy Abbie received were sometimes hard and even painful, the IWK made it easier for her and the whole family.



Imagine if you had not one, but two, very sick little girls. 

Riley Doyle was only three-years-old when she and her mom, Shauna, travelled from Cape Breton to Halifax for a month of testing at the IWK.  Riley was diagnosed with a rare metabolic disease affecting her kidneys.  As the care team worked to stabilize and care for her little girl, Shauna did not leave her daughter’s side. 

What followed were years of treatment and waiting for the one thing that could make Riley better - a kidney transplant.  During this difficult time, Riley’s sister Emma was born. 

It’s hard to imagine the sadness Shauna must have felt when Emma was diagnosed with the same disease as her big sister.  But Shauna never lost hope.  As she says, “The IWK is the place to be when your kids are sick.” 

October 11, 2011, is a date Shauna and her family will never forget.  It’s the day they finally received the bittersweet news they had been hoping for.  There was a new kidney for Riley! 

child's handsRiley’s transplant was a big success but the family’s story isn’t over yet.  Now a teenager, Riley continues to visit the IWK for regular check-ups, and little Emma is still on home dialysis.  She’s on the active kidney transplant list, waiting and hoping for her turn to get better. 

“Thanks to donor support, I’m able to stay in the room with my daughters every time they are at the IWK,” says Shauna.  “I was by Riley’s side after her transplant and I will be by Emma’s side after she has hers.” 

Brooke McGraw

Riverview, NB

Young girl in sun hat and dressTerrifying.

These are just two words Sarah and Charles McGraw from Riverview, New Brunswick, use to describe the night/day their three-week-old daughter, Brooke, was airlifted to the IWK Health Centre. 


These words, according to her parents, describe Brooke’s personality today. She loves the movie, Frozen, Dora the Explorer, and just being active – she’s a typical four-year-old little girl. 

When Sarah was pregnant with Brooke, she received an ultrasound to explore a suspected heart defect. However, everything seemed to have resolved itself and the rest of the pregnancy there were no further concerns. Shortly after her birth, Brooke was admitted into the NICU in Moncton where further tests were done. They were told she had a hole in her heart. Brooke was stable and was allowed to go home after a week.  However Brooke’s pediatrician in Moncton felt she needed further monitoring and requested the family take her back to the hospital. Timing proved to be everything that day, as that advice may have saved Brooke’s life. 

Upon arrival, Brooke was admitted to the pediatric ward. That night, her heart rate became dangerously high, and she was airlifted to the IWK Health Centre. 

“I will never forget that moment when I stepped inside the airplane,” remembers Sarah. “What would be waiting for us when we landed? We were first time parents with millions of questions.” 

Brooke was diagnosed with an Atrial Septal Defect (ASD), a hole in the wall between the two upper collecting chambers; Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD), a hole in the wall that separates the heart’s two lower chambers; Pulmonary Stenosis, a fixed obstruction of flow from the right ventricle of the heart to the pulmonary artery; Parachute Mitral Valve Stenosis, a narrowing of the heart valve; and Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT), a rapid heart rhythm. 

Baby receiving medical treatment

In August of 2010, at only three months old, Brooke underwent open-heart surgery.  The team wasn’t sure if they were going to have to do a valve replacement until they actually went in and took a look. If they were going to have to replace the valve it was going to be high risk as the smallest valve they make is for a three-year-old.  

Brooke’s family sat in anticipation in the Ronald Macdonald room and waited until their daughter was stable enough to be moved up to the Pediatric Medical Unit. It was comforting be in a non hospital setting within the hospital and very reassuring to be just steps away from their baby.

Doctors at the IWK told Sarah and Charles to be prepared to stay for a month, but the three hour surgery went even better than anticipated. 

Brooke’s heart was repaired and began to pump normally. Even though she was weak and small, this little champion was thriving and only had to spend two days in the PICU at the IWK following her surgery. 

“From the night they first rushed Brooke in, to the surgery and beyond, the IWK has treated us like family. The doctors took the time to explain everything, and kept us calm during an incredibly difficult situation,” says Charles. 

Because the family lives in New Brunswick, the IWK actually comes to them for Brooke’s checkups.  Her care is part of the IWK’s travelling clinics that cover the entire Maritime region. 

“It’s so important to have the IWK there when you need it,” says Charles. “No one expects to need it, but when you do, you’re glad they have the best equipment and the best doctors. That needs to continue. Without the IWK, Brooke would not be here today.”

Van Bernard

Halifax, Nova Scotia

On June 16, 2007 Van Bernard was welcomed into the world with all of the hopes and dreams that two loving parents and a three-year-old big sister can have for a new member of the family. Developmentally, Van met all of the goals in his early days only tracking slightly below average on body weight which did not raise any alarming flags to his parents or pediatrician. Although he did not seem to push off on his legs like most babies will do as early as three month, in all other areas he was a healthy and happy baby boy.

At six months old Van's parents noticed tremors in both of his hands and that his legs did not seem to be as strong as they should. He wasn’t pushing himself up or sitting particularly well and he didn’t try to stand. At the same time, his pediatrician was also noticing Van’s inability to achieve some of the basic motor development milestones for a typical six-month-old. Van was referred to the neurology department at the IWK Health Centre, and within 20 minutes, the Bernard family’s life would forever be changed. Van was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), Type II – a degenerative neuromuscular disease that destroys the nerves controlling voluntary muscle movement.

At only 10 months old, the hopes and dreams they had for Van changed. Instead of wondering when Van would walk or talk, take his first swimming lesson or learn to skate, the Bernard’s wondered if Van’s muscular system would even progress at all before beginning to retreat.

“We were devastated. How could this be? SMA is a genetic disorder and there is no history of it in our family. Looking back, we were very blessed that he was diagnosed so quickly and that his Neurologist at the IWK immediately recognized this very rare condition.  

Time is a big assumption with SMA patients and there is no cure. The impact this has on Van’s general health is that he simply doesn’t have the muscular development to cough or sneeze and clear his lungs. A common cold can affect his ability to breathe and he is always at risk for respiratory complications. 

Even though he has been through so much, Van enjoys coming to the IWK. “I love all of the games that they have,” says Van. “There is no reason to be scared about coming here.”

Van will never walk but he moves around easily in his power wheelchair otherwise known as his “zoom zoom”. He enjoys many activities that a typical six-year-old enjoys. Sledge hockey, swimming, soccer…Van does it all! His charisma, sense of humour and contagious smile leave a lasting impression on everyone he encounters.

Julianne Lord

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Little Julianne Lord is one in a hundred -- one of a hundred babies born with Congenital Heart Disease.

During a routine 20 week ultrasound at the IWK Health Centre, a nurse noticed something might be wrong with baby Julianne’s heart and asked a doctor to follow up with an general echocardiogram just to be sure. Julianne’s parents, Marie-Eve and Ben, were shocked to learn of the results. Their unborn daughter had Critical Aortic Stenosis, a disease of the heart valves in which the opening of the aortic valve is narrowed resulting in Julianne not receiving the proper amount of blood flow. In addition, their daughter was also diagnosed with Endocardial Fibroelastosis, a thickening of the inmost lining of the heart chambers which meant that her little heart was having difficulties pumping blood. Julianne would require surgery after she was born.

“When I learned that our baby was going to need surgery at birth, I immediately saw in my head our son when he was born,” remembers Marie-Eve. “Knowing that our tiny bundle would have to suffer so much right away just made me cry.”

On October 23, 2012, Julianne was welcomed into the world by her parents and older brother Thomas. However, after only an hour of being born, baby Julianne started to show signs of heart failure and distress. While she was only six hours old, Julianne underwent her first procedure where a tiny balloon heart catheter opened her aortic valve to help with blood flow. Julianne began to show signs of improvement and after 30 long days at the IWK, the family finally received good news, they were going home!

A mother knows when something isn’t right with her baby. After only two weeks, Marie-Eve noticed that her daughter was very sleepy and was drinking less fluid. Something was wrong.

Julianne was quickly readmitted to the IWK to repeat the procedure she had done the day she was born. Unfortunately, the Lord family would have to spend the first Christmas with their new daughter at the hospital. It wasn’t long before Julianne again began to show signs of heart failure. Despite being a fighter, a new heart was Julianne’s only chance of survival and she would need to be flown directly to SickKids Hospital in Toronto for transplant assessment.

“We knew nothing about transplant, only that many people die while waiting. We just thought that we were going to lose her.”

Julianne’s care team at the IWK worked diligently with the care team at SickKids to ensure that her transition to SickKids was a seamless as possible. One of the nurses in Toronto said it was the best transfer package they had seen in a long time. In Toronto, Julianne’s health quickly deteriorated, she was in a lot of pain and extremely weak. She could not eat or breathe on her own and required round the clock sedation.

Her New heart

February 9, 2013 is a day that Ben and Marie-Eve will always remember. That is the day they received the call that Julianne was going to get her new heart! “Everything became possible again,” Marie-Eve says. “The future just opened up to us. It was by far, the best day ever!”

Julianne’s surgery went incredibly smoothly and doctors were able to close her chest right away, which is frequently not the case. At discharge, she was on 10 different medications that were spread throughout the day and night. On May 24th, the family got the okay to go home to Nova Scotia.

After care

Today, Julianne is a beautiful, happy and bright little girl. To look at her, you’d never suspect that she has had to fight her entire life. Because of her transplant, she will forever need to be treated with immunosuppressants. The risk of rejection, infections, kidney failure and post-transplant cancer are always present, however her parents take comfort in knowing that the IWK will be there to take care of their daughter every step of the way. Julianne’s beautiful smile and sunny disposition makes it hard to believe that this strong and confident young girl has ever faced adversity.

“Organ donation saved our family. It made us better people who are able to show a greater appreciation for the smallest things in life.” ~ Ben and Marie-Eve Lord

Joshua Côté
Mira gut, cape Breton

Most babies get their first tooth when they are around six months old, but for Joshua Côté, this was not the case. Joshua’s first tooth didn’t appear until he was 11-months old and when the tooth came in, it was peg-shaped and sharp. Joshua’s parents, Jill and Marcel, took a photo to their local dentist and they were referred to the IWK Dentistry team. 

When Joshua arrived at the IWK, a genetic test was done and he was diagnosed with Hypohidrotic Ectodermal Dysplasia; a gene mutation of the 23rd chromosome that affects structures of the skin. Joshua’s condition is very rare – he is only 1 of 7000 kids in the world to receive this diagnosis. As a result, he suffers from severe eczema, his hair and nails grow in thin, his teeth will all grow in peg-shaped and he has no sweat-glands, so he is unable to perspire. Because of Joshua’s inability to sweat, he is often at risk for over-heating, which could result in him not being able to breathe. He must avoid any activity where sweating is common. Joshua’s family must always be prepared to cool him down at a moment’s notice as he was once taken by ambulance to his local hospital due to overheating. 

As Joshua’s teeth continued to grow in, he became more aware that they were different than those of most people he knew. He eventually started to smile less and it was getting him down. One night while Joshua and his dad were lying in bed, he touched his teeth then touched his father’s teeth and said, “Dad, I just want to be a normal boy like you and have normal teeth.” That comment led the family to their current treatment plan with the IWK’s Dentistry team. 

“Thank you doesn’t begin to express how grateful we are for what the IWK has done for our family. The team has been there for us every step of the way and educated us about Joshua’s condition and how to care for him.” says Jill and Marcel. “Dr. Anderson and Dr. Taylor Farland gave Joshua his smile back. The IWK made an amazing change and difference to our lives, all for the better.” 

Joshua now has a set of dentures that he calls “magic teeth” that fit over his natural teeth. These teeth have changed Joshua’s personality and he has become more confident. He smiles a lot more and says that people tell him that he is cute. He says that now when people meet him, they don’t know that he has Hypohidrotic Ectodermal Dysplasia. 

For the next several years, Joshua will visit the IWK every two to three months to have his dentures re-adjusted to fit his growing jaw. 

Alcide Costard 

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Alcide Costard and his family travelled from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, to receive life saving treatment at the IWK. 

In 2009, Alcide’s mom and dad, Lana and Gene, were delighted to discover that they would be welcoming a new baby into their home. At their initial 12 week ultrasound, everything seemed normal. However, Lana’s doctors soon began to have some concerns and referred her to the IWK. At around 16 weeks, and ultrasound performed at the IWK indicated that little Alcide wasn’t growing as fast as he should have. A follow-up ultrasound and amnio test confirmed that their son had an intrauterine growth restriction - baby Alcide wasn’t getting the proper nutrition that he required. 

Lana was carefully followed throughout the duration of her pregnancy and after careful consultation with doctors at home and the IWK, Lana and Gene decided to deliver their son via c-section at 37 weeks.  Tiny Alcide weighed only 3lbs 10 oz. 

At birth, Alcide’s care team at the IWK discovered that he had Vacterl Association, a genetic disorder that affects many body systems. The doctors told Lana and Gene that the first 24 hours were going to be longest and hardest because they weren’t sure if Alcide was going to make it throughout the night. Thankfully, Alcide proved them wrong, and at two days old he underwent his first two major surgeries – one to repair his esophagus, and the second to repair an imperforate anus. 

At 11 months old, Alcide was scheduled to undergo his third major surgery, a Tethered Spinal Cord Repair at the IWK. However, on the day of the surgery, a blood test discovered that his kidneys were functioning at less than 18 per cent, which meant he was almost in complete renal failure. Alcide was rushed to the Nephrology unit at the IWK and immediately started treatment. 

“The care that our little boy reveived was second to none,” says Gene. “The nurses in the NICU are the most loving and caring people you’ll ever meet.” 

Nearly a year later, the spinal surgery was set again and this time it was done successfully. 

“Without the IWK, the nurses, the doctors, the equipment and the technology that they have, Alcide wouldn’t be here,” says Lana. “The IWK isn’t a hospital, it’s like a home to us. We owe them everything.” 

Today, Alcide is followed by his IWK care team every three months. He is currently doing amazingly well, and is an active, normal, and happy three-year-old boy.


Danika LeBlanc
Shediac, New Brunswisk

Ken, Caroline, and baby Danika.

Young Danika LeBlanc is a miracle in the making. Born December 3, 2012 to Ken, Caroline, and her big sister Mia welcomed Danika into the world, little did they know that their lives were about to change. Soon after birth, baby Danika came down with a fever and was placed in the NICU at the Moncton Hospital for four days. During that time, it was also discovered that she had a heart murmur. Upon release from the hospital, the family was given information about congenital heart diseases and what symptoms to expect for the various conditions. Things took a drastic turn for the worse.

On Friday, December 14, 2012, baby Danika was rushed to the trauma room at the Moncton Hospital where the pediatric on call said that Danika’s liver was shutting down and her heart was in failure. After working on her throughout the night with minimal results, the decision was made to airlift her to the IWK.

Against all odds, the health care team at the IWK was able to stabilize her and administered several medications to her little body in an attempt to reverse damage done to her vital organs. Dr. Warren and the cardiology team determined that Danika would require surgery for her coarctation of the aorta - a narrowing of the main artery that leads out of the heart. To help the family prepare for their daughter’s surgery, the PICU care team took the time to answer any of the Leblanc’s questions and made them feel a part of the care that Danika was receiving.

Luckily, her surgery healed nicely and they were released on December 24th, the best Christmas present this family could ask for.

Today, Danika is closely monitored by a team of doctors at both the Moncton Hospital and the IWK in an effort to increase Danika’s weight gain.

“The IWK has the ability to save lives and it is the funding from generous people that truly makes a difference,” explains the LeBlanc Family. “From the bottom of our hearts and from Danika, thank you for everything that you’ve done for us.”


Simone Collins

Montague, PEI

Simone has been a patient of the IWK Health Centre since before she was even born. At 20 weeks pregnant, her mom, Anna, began to experience complications and was referred to the IWK for a detailed ultrasound. 

It was determined that her baby Simone had an enlarged ventricle of the left brain, a heart defect, seven markers for Downs Syndrome, and an issue with her left leg. Anna was shocked – a parent is never really prepared to receive difficult news. 

Anna made the decision to have an amniocentesis performed, in which a small amount of amniotic fluid is drawn to help diagnosis chromosomal differences. This would help paint a clearer picture of what exactly ­her child would be facing.

Right away, Anna met with the Genetics and Palliative Care team at the IWK who were able to review the results of her tests as well as go over her options for her unborn child – including if she lost the baby or if she delivered a stillborn child.

Baby Simone was born on November 9, 2010.  At only nine days old, she underwent surgery to repair four holes in her tiny heart. Interestingly, each hole was located directly next to each other, right in a row. Using a type of mesh, shaped like a butterfly, doctors were able to close all four holes at once instead of having to close each one individually.

The following November, Simone underwent another surgery to repair a cleft palate. Since then, she has been cared for in a number of departments at the IWK including dentistry, orthopedics, and neurology. 

Looking back, even during this tumultuous time, Anna describes her experience at the IWK as caring and comforting. Even with lots of individuals coming and going from her hospital room, she was able to form relationships with her care providers. Grace MacConnell and Dr. Marie-Claude Gregoire, from the pediatric palliative care team, became familiar and friendly faces. “They knew us and we knew them, it was very comforting,” recalls Anna. “Simone had a number of fantastic doctors and nurses, but I really felt like they were there for me.”

Today, Simone can only be described as the happiest little girl on the planet – she is always smiling. At two-and-a-half, Simone loves to swim, listen to music, dance, and has recently taken up drawing. Thanks to the exceptional care that Anna and her daughter received at the IWK, Simone is doing great, and they know that no matter what challenges they may face in the future – the IWK will be right there with them, every step of the way.


Quentin Bergeron

Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia

From Winter 2013 Newsletter
Quentin is a 14-year-old survivor, fighter and patient of the IWK. Diagnosed with Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome (S.M.A. Syndrome), he spent approximately 20 weeks at the IWK being treated for his incredibly rare and painful disorder - so rare in fact that there are only 500 reported cases of it…ever! 

S.M.A, also known as Wilkie’s Syndrome, causes a section in your small intestine to be constricted within your abdomen, making it agonizing to eat, and resulted in three separate hospitalizations for this brave young man.

In addition, Quentin is also a patient at the IWK because he has experienced problems with bullying. Over time, it led to a lot of stress, depression and anxiety. Because of his experiences, Quentin struggles with Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), anxiety, and a form of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). But, he manages to get through it all.

"I spent a total of 20 weeks at the IWK and while I was there I couldn’t have asked for a nicer group of nurses,” says Quentin. “Because of the care that I received at the IWK, I am able to enjoy what I love most – sports, music, animals and acting.”

Read Quentin’s full story in our winter 2013 newsletter

Frédérique Ouellette

Moncton, New Brunswick

When you speak to Frédérique, affectionately known as “Freddy”, she is a bright, smiley, confident and happy 10-year-old girl. She loves helping around the house and looks forward to the day when she’s a veterinarian and can help animals.

Frederique OuelletteAt the young age of two, Freddy began to experience small breakouts on her body. A medical assessment at her home hospital in Gaspésie, where she was living at the time, resulted in a diagnosis of neurofibromatosis - a condition that causes the growth of tumours along nerves and under skin. This genetically-inherited and life-long condition may be harmless, or may cause serious damage by compressing nerves and other tissues. Because of her condition, Freddy has two benign tumours in her brain.

Thankfully, these tumours are not causing her any discomfort and she is able to do everything that other 10-year-old children can do.

“At the IWK they are specialized to help kids. They are very nice they always know what to say,” says Freddy. “They are very patient. Even if it takes time, they don’t ask you to hurry up.”

Today, her treatment requires visiting the IWK two to three times a year for an MRI, a visit to her neurologist or a trip to the ophthalmologist. She doesn’t mind visiting the hospital though; her parents turn it into a fun trip. Usually they get to stop at Bigg’s and Littles gift shop for a treat.  This is Freddy’s story.  

Rebecca Saunders

Dartmouth, Nova scotia

Rebecca Saunders started receiving care from the IWK before she was born. Due to complications during pregnancy, her mother was monitored closely by the team in the Fetal Assessment Unit to ensure she was born healthy.  When she was two weeks old a small red mark was visible on her forehead. Her doctor confirmed that it was a Strawberry Hemangioma and Rebecca was referred to the IWK for follow up care.

Due to the location of the Hemangioma a CAT scan was ordered to ensure her breathing wasn’t being obstructed.  As it continued to grow she visited the Ophthalmology department to ensure her eyesight was developing properly. Rebecca also began making regular trips to the Plastic Surgery clinic where the growth of the Hemangioma was monitored. Doctors explained to Rebecca’s parents that it would continue to grow during her first year and then start to shrink. By the time she was 5 the growth faded and just before she started school surgeons removed the extra skin that remained. She was left with a 2 inch scar that is barely noticeable. Rebecca also has several allergies and visits the lab every 2 years for blood work.

Rebecca is now a busy 11-year-old in Grade 6, who along with her sister Rachel, participates in dance, figure skating and plays piano. She also loves drawing and submitted her picture to be considered for the IWK Foundation’s holiday card contest. She was delighted to find out her version of “Penguins in the Snow” was selected as the winning entry.

“Our family has been cared for by a variety of health care professionals at the IWK and they all worked together to address our concerns and the friendly, kind, and extremely competent staff ensured Rebecca felt comfortable each time she visited the hospital.” – Janet Saunders

Sadie Rhyno

Hammonds Plains, Nova scotia

Patient Spotlight

Last Labour Day weekend started out as a normal weekend like any other for the Rhyno family. However, it became a weekend they would never forget – it was the weekend that their two-year-old daughter Sadie had her first seizure.  

Sadie was immediately rushed to the IWK Health Centre and experienced two more seizures that evening.  After undergoing tests, she was diagnosed with Epilepsy.  Her parents, Lori and Blair, felt scared, mad and frustrated for Sadie when they received the diagnosis, but they were relieved to know what they were dealing with. 

Sadie began visiting the IWK’s Neurology team – a team she continues to see regularly. Over the last year, Sadie has been on five different medications to try to find the combination that will help control her Epilepsy. She spent eight months feeling very tired and dizzy during the trial and error period, but thankfully, she has found a combination of two medicines that are working well for her. 

Since last September, Sadie has made six visits to the IWK’s emergency department and five trips to the IWK by ambulance for seizures her parents weren’t able to control at home. She was also admitted to the IWK twice for inpatient care and has undergone many tests including an MRI, a CT scan and five EEG’s – a test that measures the electrical activity of the brain using sensors that attach to the head.

Through all the ups and downs in Sadie’s journey, her parents say they are extremely thankful that the IWK has been there to support them. They know the team is committed to helping Sadie get better and feel comfortable, and they can call Sadie’s doctor and clinic nurse whenever they have questions or concerns. The Rhyno’s know that the IWK will continue to be there for them as Sadie continues to live with Epilepsy as she gets older.

Olivia Burke

Halifax, Nova scotia

Olivia Burke’s mother Shauna McKay-Burke, a licensed practical nurse, has worked in the mental health field for nearly ten years. She never imagined her own daughter would require mental health care from the IWK in the same unit where Shauna currently works. But it quickly became apparent 16-year-old Olivia Burke had an acute mental illness when she began experiencing symptoms of psychosis.

Shauna cared for Olivia at home for several weeks before she realized she couldn’t do it alone. It was difficult to open that part of her personal life to her colleagues, but she knew she was putting Olivia’s care in the best hands.

Olivia spent three months at the IWK in room 445 – a room that will forever be Olivia’s in Shauna’s eyes. Olivia is feeling better and is slowly getting her life back through regular follow-up care at the IWK. She recently returned to playing soccer and is hopeful she’ll be able to go back to her job as a lifeguard very soon.

“I am grateful to this hospital. They will do anything for these kids. They went above and beyond any expectations I had, and as an employee, my expectations were very high. As a care professional myself, I will never look at the kids and families I’m caring for the same way again. I’ll truly understand what they are going through.” – Shauna McKay-Burke

A recent gift of $10 million will
support patients like Olivia through the creation of the new acute mental health inpatient unit as well as an enhanced centre for women's health care and a state-of-the-art neonatal intensive care unit at the IWK.  Learn more about this incredible gift.

Rebbecca boyd

bedford, Nova scotia

Rebecca Boyd is an incredibly charming and charismatic young woman, whose personality and outlook on life is inspirational. In May 2012, she began to experience agonizing pains in her back and stomach. After being admitted to the IWK, Rebecca was diagnosed with a serious type of Nephritis, resulting in a severe inflammation of her kidneys. Most young adults would be upset about having to spend so much time in a hospital. But Rebecca’s contagious positive attitude is what gets her through. This is Rebecca’s Story. 

michael rumsby, cole harbour, NS

Michael Rumbsy’s passion is playing hockey. But life as a hockey player took a drastic turn in 2010 when he was diagnosed with a brain tumour and had to have chemotherapy, surgery and radiation. A year later, Michael was diagnosed with a second tumour and required a stem cell transplant. Thanks to the support of his family, friends and teammates, Michael is living proof that there is strength in numbers. This is Michael’s story. 

Mary & Emma, Bloomfield, PEI

Mary Clements of Bloomfield, Prince Edward Island, can barely speak when asked what might have happened to her and her unborn baby without the specialized intensive care provided by the IWK Health Centre. "Neither of us would be here today," she says, wiping away a tear. "I can't even think about it."



11-year-old Olivia Mason says she doesn’t feel like she’s very brave. But the string of colourful beads hanging from her IV pole tells a different story. They’re called Bravery Heart Beads, and they provide Olivia and her family with a detailed account of her unique IWK journey.

Olivia, an oncology patient, has been collecting the beads for four months and already the pretty display is nearly five-feet long. Each bead represents a treatment or procedure and Olivia can proudly explain what each one means.

“I have lots of red beads, those are for blood transfusions,” she says. “The blue dolphin is a leukemia diagnosis, the ‘B’ bead means bone marrow, these clear, white, glow-in-the-dark ones are radiation treatments and the face bead signif ies hair loss, unfortunately.”

There are beads that make Olivia smile, like the “Wow” beads for special accomplishments; others make her cringe, especially the ones associated with needles. “I don’t enjoy needles but then someone will remind me I get a bead afterwards and it makes it a bit easier to just get it over with.” 

Olivia’s parents, Tammy and Barry, see how their daughter has benefitted from collecting the beads during what has otherwise been a frightening time. “The beads are a bit of a distraction from the scary parts of having leukemia,” says Tammy. “In fact, Olivia keeps track of how many beads are owed to her and reminds the Child Life staff every chance she gets!” 

With start-up support from the IWK Auxiliary, a dedicated volunteer organization, the Bravery Heart Bead Program was introduced by the IWK’s Child Life department in early 2011. “We’re really excited to have the program in place,” says Chantal LeBlanc, Child Life Specialist.

“The beads help kids tell their stories of challenges, triumphs and strength.” Child Life’s goal is to work with patients and families to help them manage stress and understand what’s happening to them while they are visiting the IWK. Child Life is one of the special programs funded in part by the IWK Foundation in partnership with the IWK Auxiliary and others.

erin dumville, moncton, new brunswick

In 2003, tummy aches brought Erin from her home in Moncton, New Brunswick to the IWK Health Centre. There, she was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis (CF), a life-long condition that affects her digestive and respiratory systems, for which there is currently no cure.

To solve the digestive issues, Erin has to take oral enzymes to combat the toll of mucus build up in her system. She has also been prescribed aerosol masks, immediately followed by physiotherapy on her chest.

Erin and her family have become familiar faces at the IWK, visiting the CF clinic three to four times a year. Once, Erin had to stay at the Health Centre for a month and by the end of it, she didn’t want to leave because she had made so many friends.

Back at home, Erin enjoys dance, music and hanging out with her friends. She’s taking guitar lessons and her favorite musician is Taylor Swift. A born entertainer, she performs many shows for her family and friends!

“I love everyone who cares for me at the IWK. I feel happy when I’m there.”


alexis williams, scotch lake, cape breton

In 2004, seven-month-old Alexis (Lexie) Williams suddenly had a grand mal seizure. She was referred to the IWK, where she was diagnosed with Epilepsy. Lexie’s seizures – known as complex partial seizures – are always different. Sometimes a blank stare will come over her face and she becomes non-responsive, while at other times, she may become aggressive.

Lexie’s Epilepsy continues to be followed by the IWK. She has been monitored in the EEG (electroencephalography) room – this is where as many as 29 wires are attached to a patient’s head in order to read brain activity. The patient is then videotaped over a long period of time in order to better understand the cause of their seizures.

“Being at the IWK is like being at home. The staff is so accommodating and helpful.”

Cameron Fiander, Hampton, New Brunswick

Cameron Fiander is a nine-year-old boy with a happy demeanour. Cameron has Angelman Syndrome – a neuro- genetic disorder characterized by intellectual and developmental delay, sleep disturbance, seizures and, almost ironically, frequent laughter or smiling.

The Fianders say the care Cameron receives at the IWK is critical to his well-being. “It is so comforting to walk through the doors and to be surrounded by a team of professionals who understands Cameron’s challenges.”

More recently, Cameron’s seizures worsened, and at first it seemed only medication would help control them. But the medication also meant Cameron was less alert. That’s when the Fianders discussed trying a ketogenic diet for Cameron with his care team at the IWK. A ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Since beginning the diet Cameron’s visible seizures have been under control and the IWK continues to monitor Cameron’s progress.

Make a gift to the IWK Health Centre Foundation.

Connect with the IWK Foundation on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and our Blog to hear more stories and keep up-to-date with Foundation news and events.


IWK Health Centre Charitable Foundation Charitable Number: 867558090RR - 0001
Copyright 2014 IWK Foundation